Best Snack Choices
Choosing lower calorie and low fat options will help you to keep within your calorie allowance...
- Carrot, pepper, cucumber sticks with a tomato based salsa dip
- A handful (approximately 7) of cherry tomatoes
- Rye crackers with tomato salsa and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, placed under the grill for a few minutes
- A fruit scone with a scraping of jam and 1 tbsp of fruit yogurt as an alternative to cream
- Sugar-free jelly
- A slice of toast with a banana and a scraping of honey
- Frozen grapes
- Diet/light yogurt, topped with a tablespoon of sugar-free muesli
- Low calorie drinking chocolate
- Homemade or low calorie soup
- One slice of toast with 2-3 tablespoons of baked beans
Houmous, nuts, flapjacks, "healthy" muffins and dried fruit may appear to be healthy snacks, but they are high in fat and calories so try to eat them in moderation.
Take some prepared fruit out and about with you, peeled and ready to eat if possible.
For cereal bars, choose ones that provide 100 calories or less per bar for example Alpen Light, Special K Bars, Weetabix Oaty Bars or Rice Krispie bars.
Choose baked crisps rather than fried, this can save you up to 100 calories per standard bag. Choose low calorie biscuits such as rich tea, Jaffa cakes, and garibaldi, low calorie chocolate options include Curly Wurly, Milky Way or fun-size treats.