Many feelings can be mistaken for hunger, this can lead to comfort eating. It is important to establish whether you are eating for reasons other than actual hunger.
If the answer to any of these is yes, then try to distract yourself, rather than reaching for food.
- Take a bath, go for a walk, listen to some music or read a book
- Connect with your body, do some yoga, stretch, dance, laugh, take a deep breath
When you are eating...
- Sit at a table, use a smaller plate
- Chew slowly
- Use cutlery or chopsticks if it will slow down the speed you can eat at
- Although it sounds obvious... taste the food, savour every mouthful!
- Try not to eat while driving, watching TV or when you're at the cinema. A distraction can cause you to eat more and you may not feel as full as you would otherwise.
- Remember, when you're full... stop eating
- Clean your teeth or chew some sugarfree gum after a meal, this may help prevent you going back for more!