Serves 10 - 186 kcals per serving
- 125g Flora light spread, plus extra for greasing
- 125g light brown sugar
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 3 ripe bananas
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 150g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas mark 6. Lightly grease a 23 x 13 x 7cm loaf tin with a little reduced-fat butter.
- Put the remaining butter and the sugar in to a large bowl and beat with a wooden spoon or hand-held electric whisk until creamy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Coarsely mash the bananas with a fork and stir into the mixture with the vanilla extract.
- Sieve in the flour, cinnamon, allspice, baking powder and salt and gently fold into the mixture in a figure-of-eight motion with a metal spoon until well mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and level the top. Bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes until you can pierce with a knife and the knife comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin before cutting the loaf into slices to serve. This will keep well, wrapped in kitchen foil, for several days.
Nutritionist Emma Brown (ANutr), MSc Human Nutrition is passionate about how food science applies to the human body, and how the nutrients in what we eat affect us and ultimately have an impact on our health.