Pasta with spicy sausage
Serves 2 - 457 kcals per serving
- 3 spicy sausages
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 150g cherry tomatoes
- 250g passata
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 200g wholemeal penne pasta
- Cook the sausages under the grill until golden.
- Meanwhile heat up a pan of boiling water and cook the pasta until cooked through.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and spray with Frylight, then fry the onion, garlic and chilli for a few minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, passata and tomato puree, and allow to simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Once the sausages are cooked, chop into chunks and add to the pan with the pasta and herbs. Stir well and heat through for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
Quorn sausage casserole
Serves 2 - 408 kcals per serving
- 4 Quorn sausages
- 50g tomato, chopped
- 75g onion
- 1 sachet sausage casserole recipe mix
- 400g tin smokey BBQ beans
- Grill the sausages to brown them a little, then, cut into small pieces.
- Make the casserole mix as instructed on the packet.
- Add the tomato, onions & BBQ beans.
- Set your oven to 190°C (Gas Mark 5) for 20-30 minutes.
Sausage and bean casserole
Serves 2 - 511 kcals per serving
- 3 low fat sausages
- 1 large tin baked beans
- 100g carrots, chopped
- 50g celery, chopped
- 1 onion
- 1 pint stock
- 100g couscous, dried
- Slice the onion and allow to soften in a non-stick pan with the sausages (no oil).
- Cut the sausages into big chunks.
- Put the onions, sausages, beans, carrots and celery into a casserole dish and add ½ pint stock.
- Put in a medium oven 190°C (Gas Mark 5) for 20 minutes to cook the sausages through.
- When you are ready to eat, add the extra ½ pint of hot stock and pour in the 100g couscous – stir gently then leave to stand for 10 minutes. The couscous will take up the juices and cook through.
- Serve with some mashed potato, new potatoes or a slice of bread and enjoy! Calories for extras not included.
Serves 4 - 267 kcals per serving
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 8 thick low-fat pork sausages
- Frylight spray
- 100g plain flour
- 1 medium egg
- 300ml skimmed milk
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (Gas Mark 6).
- Tip the onions into a small shallow non-stick tin.
- Arrange the sausages on top of the onions, then spray lightly with the Frylight and roast for 20 minutes.
- While they are roasting, make the batter. Sift the flour into a bowl, drop the egg into the centre and beat in the milk, a little at a time, until it makes a smooth batter.
- Stir in the mustard and thyme and season.
- Pour the batter into the hot tin and return to the oven for 40 minutes until the batter is risen and golden.
Veggie sausage rolls
Serves 1 - 447 kcals per serving
- 2 Quorn sausages
- 2 slices bread
- 1 cheese triangle
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp skimmed milk
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Heat a frying pan with the Frylight and gently cook the sausages on a low heat.
- Remove the crust from bread and spread with the cheese.
- Place the sausage on the bread and roll (secure with cocktail sticks if necessary).
- Whisk the egg and milk together and dip the bread in the mixture. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake in a preheated oven 180°C (Gas Mark 4) until crisp and golden.
Nutritionist Emma Brown, MSc Human Nutrition is passionate about how food science applies to the human body, and how the nutrients in what we eat affect us and ultimately have an impact on our health.